Who is WORDfest for?
WORDfest is for writers! We have lots to offer writers of fiction, nonfiction, poetry, and scripts, and we have designed our programming to appeal to writers at every stage of their career. Check out the event schedule to see the full lineup!
So it's a writers' conference?
Not quite (although conference-goers will find plenty to enjoy here!) We don't do traditional classes, lectures, or presentations. Instead, the emphasis is on activities, conversations, and connections, with breakout groups and discussion sessions led by a well-qualified, passionate professional. Come sit at a table across from your fellow writers and experts, share what you know, and drink in the insights you need to take your work to the next level!
What are the food options?
Subway will be open, and we'll have Chick-fil-A sandwiches available (as well as some lighter refreshments - the popcorn machine is making a confirmed comeback!) You're also welcome to bring your lunch if you prefer - there are microwaves and vending machines in the building.
Why do I need to register when it's a free event?
1. So that we have your contact information and can let you know about any last-minute changes in plan
and 2. So that we know how many attendees to expect, and can plan our quantities (of parking, activities, refreshments, etc.) accordingly.
Plus, registering gets you a speedier check-in, with less time spent waiting in line. It's quick and easy - so if you're planning to attend, do future-you a favor and sign up now!
What should I bring?
Everything you need to have a good time at a writers' carnival! We suggest:
1. Comfortable shoes for walking around indoors
2. Cash for food, merchandise, and/or raffle tickets (there is an ATM in the building too)
3. Business cards if you have them - plan on making new friends while you're here!
4. A favorite bag or backpack, big enough to store handouts and other paper goods.
5. A snack and a bottle of water, and a jacket if you tend to get over-air-conditioned
6. Consider bringing a short (about 5 minutes) sample of your writing if you would like to participate in our open mic session - you can also read from your phone or other device if you prefer.
How accessible is this event?
As accessible as we can make it! All TCC facilities are fully ADA-compliant, with handicapped parking, clearly marked signage, and accessible restrooms. We are expecting robust attendance, so if the noise and crowds start to bother you, feel free to recharge your social batteries outside, or in one of the quiet areas to the right of Center Corner. We don't have any programming with flashing lights or strobe.